Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Gladness of the Moment Palm Sunday 2011

Photo by Etwood

"This is the day the Lord hath made.
Let us be glad and rejoice in it."
I quote these words as I rise each morning.
But can I follow this biblical command?
Sometimes I find it difficult to be glad,
Sometimes I find it impossible to rejoice.
Was it difficult for Jesus
When He stood on the hill over Jerusalem
And contemplated the tragedies to come?
He longed to gather those who dwelt in Jerusalem
Into his arms.
Did God weep that day for Jerusalem
Or for all humanity?
Where was gladness?
Saved for the day Jesus entered that great city,
And palm fronds fell at His feet,
And Hosannas echoed
From dried brick walls.
Just as the Psalm commanded:
"With boughs in hand, join the festal procession."
Jesus shared joy that day
As he would share suffering later
When  he hung on the cross.
On Palm Sunday,
I will feel the gladness of the moment.
Even if I know as He did
The sorrow of tomorrow.

No comments: