Monday, January 18, 2010

Prayer for Haiti



God, I know that you are everywhere
And I worship you.
Yet my heart cries out
Because of the suffering of
The people of Haiti.
Why, Lord?
I do not hear your answer.
I turn to the Bible.
Jesus says death does not come from sin
When buildings fall and kill.
But Jesus does not tell us why
Buildings fall.
Do you refuse to answer, God?
Is your answer the one you gave to Job
When you showed your majesty and power?
Is the answer beyond our comprehension?
Some say
If we are to have free will
This universe must be as it is
With suffering and death.
I do not know.
Lord, give me understanding.
Wrap your love around the suffering
In Haiti.
Ease their pain and
Give them solace.
Let them know you are there.
That is your promise:
"I am with you always."
The Comforter walks among
The ruins in Haiti
Just as the Spirit stood by
Christ on the Cross.
Let all of Haiti
Know the Counselor
As he holds each person close,
Dead to us or alive to us
But all alive to God.
Photo by United Nations Development Programme

No comments: