Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas Invitation to Communion



I come to invite you to join us
In Communion.
Our statement of identity says that:
"We are Disciples of Christ
A movement for wholeness
In a fragmented world.
As part of the one body of Christ,
We welcome all to the Lord's Table
As God has welcomed us."
When I think of Christmas,
The baby in the manger,
I am not surprised that we all love this holiday
Despite its commercialization and too often, frantic pace.
We remember that
God came as a baby.
We  can hold a baby.  We could hold God.
I think deep within in each of us
Is the desire to be in control.
God as a baby gives us control
And sets Christmas in a special place.
But Christmas leads us to Easter,
And a Savior who did not conquer by might
But became the Lamb of God,
A living sacrifice,
Out of our control.
When we take the bread and wine,
We follow Jesus' command:
"Do this in remembrance of me."
In Communion,
God is in control.
I feel at peace with myself
When I take the bread and cup
And know that I do God's will.
That now the Christ holds me.
Join us at the Lord's Table.
Let Jesus cradle you.

No comments: