Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day 2013


"I come to the garden alone,
While the dew is still on the roses;
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear,
The Son of God discloses."



 Memorial Day comes again.
Reminding me that
Another friend died this year.
Another funeral.
Grief for his family,
He will be missed.
Grief stirred memories rise
As "In the Garden" wakes
Forgotten sorrow.
A time of loss.
Old friends and family gone
As the World War II generation fades.
Those born in the rural past
Die in the urban present.
Too many precious friends
 Left long ago
In my generation's war,
In Viet Nam.
Their graves stand as sentinels
To this nation's hubris.
Now a new generation,
Young, full of hope,
Face their wars:
Afghanistan.
Iraq.
So many have died,
So many continue to die.
Bow your head
 To the sorrow
Of so much death
And listen to Christ's words,
"Blessed are they that mourn;
For they shall be comforted."

Photo by *clarity*

No comments: